Our creative international team is seeking an English localization specialist to help us develop LINE's global services.
Job titles: Localization Specialist, UX Writer
You'll be responsible for the localization of LINE's flagship messenger and B2B services (LINE Pay, LINE Stickers, LINE Ads Platform, and others).
Most of your work will be centered around UI for apps, websites, and web-based content management tools.
Rather than direct translation, you'll help our team localize each service with focus on improving usability for a more user-friendly and intuitive experience.
In addition, English will be used as source for translation into multiple languages and read by many non-native speakers. You need to keep English as simple and clear as possible.
Some of the services you may be working on include:
- LINE messenger
- LINE Pay
- LINE Sticker Shop
- LINE STORE (https://store.line.me/home/)
- LINE Creators Market (https://creator.line.me/)
- LINE Ads
Note: Candidates for this position may start on a contract basis depending on their experience.
Main tasks are:
1) Localization from Japanese to English
2) Draft and finalize UI text
3) Review English copy
4) Perform LQA (Conduct language quality assurance in test environments)
5) Bug fix (Help spot localization issues in already-released content and raise tickets accordingly)
You'll be required to use CAT tools for translation projects, as well as help create and maintain TMs and terminology glossaries.
In addition to the main tasks above, you may be asked to conduct mid to long-term research and learning activities to improve team performance.
[Related fields of work]
LINE and its expanding family of services cover a diverse range of fields, including:
- Social messaging
- Electronic payments
- Popular culture
[How to apply]
Please submit your resume in either Japanese or English.
If you have a portfolio of previous translation, UX, or copywriting work, please include a link or attachment from which we can review it.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to coordinate smoothly between your team and other stakeholders
- Native level competency in English
- JLPT N1 or equivalent competency in Japanese
- One or more years experience in localization (Japanese into English)
- Experience as a linguist in IT or game localization, or in a localization service provider
- Experience in localization of commercial mobile apps, websites, internet advertising, and entertainment media such as gaming
- Experience in localization of financial services and apps
- Experience in copywriting and/or writing original content in English
- Knowledge of and/or research experience in UX and usability
- Experience using CAT tools such as Trados, Memsource, MemoQ, GlobalLink, etc.
- Experience using BTS platforms such as Atlassian JIRA, Redmine, etc.
- Experience in app testing (not as an engineer but as a linguist)
- Able to suggest improvements to LINE services from the linguistic perspective
- Able to work flexibly with others with a strong emphasis on team work
- Able to multitask while giving equal priority to both speed and quality
- Has a self-directed work ethic that gets the job done
- Uses social messaging apps (such as LINE) and keeps up to date with latest apps and social media services
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN
Shinjuku Office /JR SHINJUKU MIRAINA TOWER 23rd FL.,4-1-6 Shinjuku,Shinjuku-ku,Tokyo,160-0022
One of the followings will be applied: Discretionary labor system for professional work (Employee is deemed to have worked for 9.5 hours a day, regardless of the actual number of hours worked), Flex-time system (core time: 11:00 am–4:00 pm) or 10:00 am–6:30 pm（actual working hours 7 hr 30 min)
*To be determined after the interview process
Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays), national holidays, paid leave, New Year’s holiday, congratulatory and condolence leave, "Refreshment" leave (every 5 years, employees who have been employed under a continuous contract are entitled to 10 days of paid leave)
Annual salary system (To be determined based on skills, experiences and abilities after discussions)
- Annual compensation will be divided into 12 months and paid on a monthly basis.
- Separate incentives available (*1)
- Compensation revision: twice a year
- Allowances: commuting allowance, LINE Pay Card Benefit Plan (*2)
(*1) In addition to your annual compensation, you may receive incentives (twice a year) depending on the company's and individual performance and evaluation on your performance. (Incentives are not guaranteed to be provided. An incentive payment will only be paid if you remain employed as of the payment date.
(*2) This is an allowance separate from the salary meant for employees to use for their health, personal development, support for raising the next generation, and more.
Employment insurance, workers accident compensation insurance, health insurance, employees pension insurance
- Periodic health checkup
- Company events and others
Details to be shared during interviews.