LINE Corp is a provider of its renowned messaging service and also a wide-range of services to our hundreds of millions of users.
Large amount of data is generated every second in these diverse services, which are leveraged in multiple fronts to improve the quality of our services. As an ETL Engineer, you will lead the process of understanding the needs of internal users and services, processing data that is relevant to each requester, and storing them in appropriate locations. Data produced by an ETL Engineer
will serve as critical insight for planners, data scientists, analysts and decision makers within LINE to deliver better-quality services.
<About the Team>
Members of this team are expected to communicate and work closely with various departments,
including service planners, developers, data engineers, Hadoop engineers, and data scientists.
This team also communicates frequently with colleagues in both domestic and overseas offices.
The team consists of members with different nationalities where communication is mainly in Japanese with occasional use of English. As with other departments, English is used in documentations and chat applications.
・Design schema based on a good understanding of data and internal user needs.
・Generate intermediate data from a large volume of data flowing into Hadoop clusters and service them to planners, decision makers, data scientists, and analysts.
・Work closely with data engineers, data scientists, analysts, and planners.
・Work closely with service-side engineers to gain better understanding and insight on data.
・Create and provide dashboards leveraging Business Intelligence tools, such as Tableau.
・Example task: Build and provide data frequently used for Machine Learning and analytics. Consult with data engineers and service team members to get source data, and reflect feedback from data scientists to improve data quality.
<Current Product Phase/Exciting Challenges/Opportunities>
Massive data is accumulated via multiple sources across different services and channels, however, the accumulated data is inefficient to be leveraged as is.
This team takes massive data and converts them to more efficient and accessible data that ultimately leads to improving the service quality on the LINE platform.
Development Environment - IntelliJ/Github/Jenkins/Ansible
Programming Language - Java/Python/SQL
BI Tool - Tableau
Hadoop Ecosystem - Hive/HBase/Spark/Hue
OS - Linux/macOS
- Strong interests in data production
- Experience with SQL and Python
- Experience with Hive, Presto, Spark, etc.
- Experience with data processing and BI tools
- Ability to recognize user needs and generate relevant data based on the feedback from users
- Knowledge of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Business-level Japanese
- Basic knowledge of analyzing large-scale database and data set
- Experience with data science or in working with team related to data science
- Basic knowledge of building data pipeline using Kafka, Spark, Flume, etc.
- Good understanding of how different web technologies (such as HTTP, API, DB, front-end, and back-end) interact with each other in a single application
- Experience with Linux environment
- Experience in software development using Java, Scala, Python, etc.
- Strong interest in data production
- Drive tasks by communicating proactively, demonstrating good understanding of relationship between service and data, and considering user-friendliness and impact of data structure from the user's perspective.
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN
Shinjuku Office /JR SHINJUKU MIRAINA TOWER 23rd FL.,4-1-6 Shinjuku,Shinjuku-ku,Tokyo,160-0022
One of the followings will be applied: Discretionary labor system for professional work (Employee is deemed to have worked for 9.5 hours a day, regardless of the actual number of hours worked), Flex-time system (core time: 11:00 am–4:00 pm) or 10:00 am–6:30 pm（actual working hours 7 hr 30 min)
*To be determined after the interview process
Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays), national holidays, paid leave, New Year’s holiday, congratulatory and condolence leave, "Refreshment" leave (every 5 years, employees who have been employed under a continuous contract are entitled to 10 days of paid leave)
Annual salary system (To be determined based on skills, experiences and abilities after discussions)
- Annual compensation will be divided into 12 months and paid on a monthly basis.
- Separate incentives available (*1)
- Compensation revision: twice a year
- Allowances: commuting allowance, LINE Pay Card Benefit Plan (*2)
(*1) In addition to your annual compensation, you may receive incentives (twice a year) depending on the company's and individual performance and evaluation on your performance. (Incentives are not guaranteed to be provided. An incentive payment will only be paid if you remain employed as of the payment date.
(*2) This is an allowance separate from the salary meant for employees to use for their health, personal development, support for raising the next generation, and more.
Employment insurance, workers accident compensation insurance, health insurance, employees pension insurance
- Periodic health checkup
- Company events and others
Details to be shared during interviews.